With Lord (Laurence) Olivier (1907-1989), actor and director. Topics covered include: the possibility of RD playing the Chorus in Olivier's film of Henry V in 1943, which he is forced to turn down following discussions with MGM about his contract; RD's health problems; Olivier's tenancy of the St James's Theatre from January 1950; the possibility of Olivier staging The Glass Slipper in 1950; RD's attempts to find "voice lessons" in 1951; The Magic Box (in /16 RD suggests that Oliver looks like "a sort of Celestial Tiger Tim" in the film); RD's visit to see Olivier's productions of Caesar and Cleopatra and Antony and Cleopatra in August 1951; Olivier's suggestion that RD take the lead in the play Hymenee in 1953; and RD's inability to attend the premiere of A Star is Born in March 1955.
Bundle of correspondence
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 FRD1/1/330
- Former ReferenceGB 133 RDO2-27.
- Dates of Creation21 Apr 1943-15 Feb 1955 & n.d.
- Physical Description25 pieces; 29 leaves. Condition: /25 has been torn into pieces and stuck together with sellotape.