G. K. CHESTERTON PAPERS. VOL. C (ff. 167). Prefaces and introductions written by Chesterton; 1916-1936. Typewritten copies, partly signed and with autograph amendments. For correspondence concerning these prefaces see Add. 73232 A, B and the correspondence with Messrs A. P. Watt and Son at Add. 73200-73227.
Contents. Prefaces to:
1. ff. 1-8. C. C. Mandell and E. Shanks, Hilaire Belloc (1916). (Sullivan, no. 273). Signed and with autograph amendments.
2. ff. 9-16. G. Macdonald, George Macdonald and his Wife (1924). (Sullivan, no. 318). Also published in G. K. C. as M. C. Signed.
3. ff. 17-32. J. Forster, The Life of Charles Dickens (1927). (Sullivan, no. 347). Two copies, one signed and with amendments. Also published in G. K. C. as M. C.
4. ff. 33-37. M. Webb, The Golden Arrow (1928). (Sullivan, no. 354). With autograph amendments; the signature has been cut out. Also published in G. K. C. as M. C.
5. ff. 38-40. Official Guide: Beaconsfield and District (1928). Later type-written copy.
6. ff. 41-44. J. P. de Fonseka (ed.), G. K. C. as M.C. (1929). (Sullivan, no. 80).
7. ff. 45-50. W. Shakespeare, King Lear (David Magee, 1930). With amendments by Dorothy Collins for its inclusion in the anthology 'The English spirit', which did not appear. Also published in Chesterton on Shakespeare.
8. f. 51. Giotto: the Legend of St Francis (Dent, 1931). A covering title-leaf only, bearing a note that the original typescript had been offered to Pope Paul VI, who appears to have accepted it.
9. ff. 52-56. A. A. Thomson, The Burns We Love (Jenkins, 1931). (Sullivan, no. 370).
10. ff. 57-60. J. P. de Fonseka, Serendipity. According to a card typed by Dorothy Collins and found with the prefaces this work was published by Methuen in 1931, but appears to have been abandoned.
11. ff. 61-65. F. Goetel, The Message of the Snow (Elkin Mathews, 1931). (Sullivan, no. 372).
12. ff. 66-73. J. Gibbons, Afoot in Portugal (Newnes, 1931). (Sullivan, no. 378). The typescript is headed 'Introduction to Thro' unknown Portugal'. Signed. With a page proof.
13. ff. 74-77. V. McNabb, The Catholic Land Movement (Catholic Truth Society, 1932). (Sullivan, no. 380).
14-15. ff. 78-86. Two introductions written for D. C. O'Grady, one for his Cosmology (Graphic, 1932), (Sullivan, no. 382), the other for an unidentified work.
16. ff. 87-90. I. G. Homewood, Recollections of an Octogenarian (Murray, 1932). (Sullivan, no. 386).
17. ff. 91-94. The Penn Country of Buckinghamshire (Evans, 1932). (Sullivan, no. 387).
18. ff. 95-96v. Introduction to essays by John Desmond Gleeson; 1932. Probably never published.
19. ff. 97-117. Six Centuries of English Literature (Blackie, 1933). (Sullivan, no. 391). Signed and with autograph amendments. Also published in The Common Man.
20. ff. 118-119. H. Pearson, The Smith of Smiths (Hamish Hamilton, 1933). (Sullivan, no. 395). With autograph amendments.
21. ff. 120-131. C. Dickens, The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club (Limited Editions Club, 1933). (Sullivan, no. 398).
22. ff. 132-138. G. K.'s: a Miscellany of the First 500 Issues of G. K.'s Weekly (Rich and Cowan, 1934). (Sullivan, no. 400). Wanting leaves 6-7.
23. ff. 139-140. A Memoir of the Rev. W. P. Trevelyan (1934).
24. ff. 141-143. Introduction to a book of verse entitled 'Odes to the odious', by Edward W. Fordham. Probably never published.
25. ff. 144-147. A Century of Detective Stories (Hutchinson, 1935). (Sullivan, no. 401). With autograph amendments.
26. ff. 148-150. V. McNabb, Francis Thompson and Other Essays (Saint Dominic's Press, 1935). (Sullivan, no. 403).
27. ff. 151-152. The Menace to Catholicism in Germany (British Non-Sectarian Anti-Nazi Council, 1936). (Sullivan, no. 406).
28. ff. 153-157. F. A. McNutt, A Papal Chamberlain (Longmans, 1936). (Sullivan, no. 405).
29. ff. 158-162v. T. Smollett, The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle (Limited Editions Club, 1941). (Sullivan, no. 409). With autograph amendments. Originally written and sent for publication 10 April 1934. Also published in The Common Man.
30. ff. 163-166. G. N. Dowsett, The Betrayal (French, 1942). (Sullivan, no. 409a). Originally written and sent for publication 21 Feb 1935.
31. ff. 167. A typewritten list of most of the prefaces; [1936?].
Dorothy Edith Collins, secretary to G K Chesterton: Amendments and corrections to articles, etc., by G. K. Chesterton, prepared for publication by Dorothy Edith Collins: [1923-1975]: Autogr.