G. K. CHESTERTON PAPERS. VOL. CI (ff. 137). Contributions, other than prefaces and introductions, written for anthologies, etc.; 1905-1935. Mostly typewritten copies. The original text of some contributions later used as printer's copy for compilations of essays will be found with the respective printer's copies. For correspondence concerning the publication of these contributions see Add. 73232 A, B and the correspondence with Messrs A. P. Watt and Son at Add. 73200-73227.
1. ff. 1-7. "Preachers from the pew"; 1905. Chesterton's two contributions to Preachers From the Pew (1905).
2. ff. 8-9. 'Lines on a cricket match' written for The Invalids (privately published, 1923); . Two copies, one later.
3. ff. 10-36. Article on Charles Dickens, written for Encyclopaedia Britannica, 14th edition (1929). With autograph amendments.
4. ff. 37-39. Poem 'To St Michael in time of peace', written for The Legion Book (1929); . With autograph amendment.
5. ff. 40-44. 'Advice to literary murderers'; 1929. Written for The Tribute (1930).
6. ff. 45-68. 'Gilbert and Sullivan', written for The Eighteen-eighties (1930).
7. f. 69. Poem beginning "About the house of Dives", published in C. Williams, Poetry at Present (Oxford, 1930); n.d. Later typewritten copy.
8. ff. 70-84. Printer's copy and page proofs of ballades included in One Hundred & One Ballades (); 1931. Most of these ballades were previously published in periodicals, and the manuscripts of these are contained in Add. 73301 A.
9. f. 85. Poem 'In memoriam M. D.', written for Margaret Douglas: a Selection from her Writings (Ditchling Common, 1931).
10. ff. 86-102. Story 'The end of wisdom', written for The Fothergill Omnibus (1931); 1931. Typewritten, with autograph heading and amendments, and signed; printed galley proof.
11. ff. 103-124. 'Alfred the Great' and 'Thomas More's Utopia', written for The English Way (1933); 1932.
12. ff. 125-127. Article on John Swinnerton Phillimore, written for The Dictionary of National Biography, but not published, the article by S. N. Miller being preferred.
13. ff. 128-130. Poem 'The good grocer', autograph draft and typewritten fair copy, written for The Princess Elizabeth Gift Book (); 1935.
14. ff. 131-137. 'The religious aspect of the Abbey', i.e. Westminster Abbey, page proofs of pp. 38-44 of an unidentified collective work; circa 1908. Printed. Re-published in The Spice of Life.
Dorothy Edith Collins, secretary to G K Chesterton: Amendments and corrections to articles, etc., by G. K. Chesterton, prepared for publication by Dorothy Edith Collins: [1923-1975]: Autogr.