G. K. CHESTERTON PAPERS. VOL. XCIX (ff. 62). Drafts and fair copies of poems first published in collections of Chesterton's poems; circa 1897 - circa 1926. Mostly autograph. Other drafts and fair copies of such poems will be found in the notebooks (Add. 73343 A-73345 B).
1. ff. 1-31. 'An alliance', 'An apology', 'The ballad of the kings and their God', 'Eternities', 'Good news', 'King's Cross Station', 'The lamp post', 'The madman's mirror', 'The mariner', 'Modern elfland', 'The pessimist', 'The praise of dust', 'The song of the children', untitled poem published as 'The world's lover', three drafts of 'A Xmas carol'; circa 1897 - circa 1899. Autograph. Variant versions, sometimes with changed titles, published in The Wild Knight, see references at Add. 73243 A, with the exception of 'The lamp post' of which only stanzas 5 to 8 were published in The Wild Knight, the present text being published as 'Fragment' in C.W., vol. 10, pp. 40-41.
2. ff. 32-37. 'World lover', 'The holy of holies' (published in facsimile in C.W., vol. 10, p. 49), 'The rhyme of the sun' (variant version published in The Acorn, [no. 1] (1905), p. 80, and in part as 'The ballad of the sun' in Poems (1915); see also Add. 73343 D, 73344 C, 73345 A), 'The rhyme of the rain' (variant version published in C.W., vol. 10, p. 248), 'The beatific vision', 'The triumph of man'; circa 1899. Six leaves, numbered 2 to 7, the first leaf, containing 'The babe unborn', being in the G. K. Chesterton Library at Plater College, Oxford. Probably detached from a notebook. Published in The Wild Knight, unless otherwise stated; see references at Add. 73243 A.
3. f. 38. 'Confession'; circa 1898. Published in Poems (1915) as 'Con-fessional'.
4. f. 39. 'Songs of education: VI. Hygiene'; circa 1919. Draft. Published, considerably amended, in The Ballad of Saint Barbara.
5. ff. 40-48. 'The epic of the white horse'; circa 1910. Published in The Ballad of the White Horse.
6. ff. 49-52. 'For the Guild of the Glass Stainers' and stanza 1 of 'For the Guild of the Stone Masons'; circa 1920. Typewritten, with a slip bearing the amended final verse of the former and an autograph amendment to the latter. Published in The Ballad of Saint Barbara.
7. f. 53. Stanzas 7-9 of 'The ballad of King Arthur'; circa 1926. Typewritten draft with autograph amendments. The complete poem published in The Queen of the Seven Swords.
8. f. 54. 'The white witch'; circa 1926. Typewritten copy. Published in The Queen of the Seven Swords.
9. ff. 55-62. 'The monster'; circa 1926. Two typewritten copies, one with autograph heading, amendments and marginal drawing, the other with amendments in the hand of Dorothy Collins. Published in Collected Poems (1927). Wanting the last leaf of the first copy.
Dorothy Edith Collins, secretary to G K Chesterton: Amendments and corrections to articles, etc., by G. K. Chesterton, prepared for publication by Dorothy Edith Collins: [1923-1975]: Autogr.