The materials contained in this collection comprise of images of prominent Liberals and other public figures such as the Royal Family and Cecil Rhodes, as well as political cartoons illustrating satirical response to various liberal policies throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It should be noted that the National Liberal Club collection as a whole contains a wide variety of visual material.
National Liberal Club Visual Materials Collection
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3 DM 668 / National Liberal Club Visual Materials
- Dates of Creation1828-1970
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description5 custom acid-free folders
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
This collection of photographs and political cartoons, both original and in print, was compiled by the National Liberal Club as part of its library.
The following materials are contained within the main body of the DM 668 visual material:
- Pictures of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman's Cabinet, 1906.
- Cartoons of the 1895 General Election Campaign by Sir Francis Carruthers Gould.
- Advertising poster for Liberal News, n.d.
- Photographs of prominent members of the Liberal Party, c. 1894.
- Photographs and pamphlets of Liberal rallies, 1947-1970.
- Miscellaneous large format political cartoons and posters.
- Photographic portraits of public figures, including the Royal Family at the coronation of Elizabeth II, and Cecil John Rhodes.
- Photographic studies of John, Viscount Morley.
Conditions Governing Access
Accessible to all bona fide readers.
The collection was purchased by University of Bristol Special Collections from the National Liberal Club in 1977.
Other Finding Aids
Typescript catalogue available in University of Bristol Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission must be obtained from University of Bristol Special Collections.
Location of Originals
The following items are stored with DM 668, and are closely related to that body of materials:
- Scrapbook of political cartoons by Sir Francis Carruthers Gould, 1901-1902 - DM 694.
- Album of political cartoons by Sir Francis Carruthers Gould and notes on a drawing of Gladstone by him, 1894-1917 - DM 921.
- Pencil cartoon of Liberal politicians by Sir Francis Carruthers Gould, 1890s - DM 1266.
- Scrapbooks of political cartoons by Sir David Alexander Cecil Low, 1928-1829 - DM 695.
- Cartoon poster by Robert Morley on Tariff Reform, 19th Century - DM 1045.
- Bound and loose caricatures from Vanity Fair, 1869-1910 - DM 872.