The collection consists of political leaflets and posters of Liberal candidates in Bristol, as well as minute books&papers of Bristol Liberal organisations.
Bristol Liberal Material
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3 DM 668 / Bristol Liberal Material
- Dates of Creation1812-1998
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description4 archive boxes (needs rechecking)
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
These papers were collected by the National Liberal Club, and detail aspects of local and national Liberal politics in and around Bristol, England.
The following distinct Bristol-related items are held within the collection:
- Leaflets of Edward Baker, Liberal candidate for Bristol East, 1931.
- Leaflet of Percy Bawden, Liberal candidate for Bristol Municipal by-election, 1948.
- Minute book of Bristol East Liberal Association, 1946-1949.
- Handbills for female Bristol Liberal candidates, undated, for parliamentary and by-elections.
- Minutes of the Bristol South Liberal party, 1948.
- Leaflet of Leonard W. Parry, Bristol Municipal Election, 1947.
Conditions Governing Access
Accessible to all bona fide readers.
These papers were purchased from the National Liberal Club in 1977.
Other Finding Aids
Typescript catalogue available at University of Bristol Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission must be obtained from the University of Bristol Special Collections.
Location of Originals
The following materials, accessioned outside DM 668, bear relation to the Bristol Liberal papers:
- Letters of Henry F. Berkeley, Liberal MP for Bristol (d. 1870). Dates covered, 1860-1866 - DM 1621.
- Bristol East Liberal Association administrative papers, 1947-1971 - DM 1172.
- Bristol General Election poll cards, 1812-1870 - DM 1835.
- Bristol Election cards, 1852 - DM 1877.
- Bristol West Liberal Democratic Party papers, 1965-1998 - DM 1885 [closed for 30 years].