Royal Ballet School Collections
- +44 (0)20 8392 8455
- White Lodge, Richmond Park, Surrey, TW10 5HR, England, United Kingdom
- Opening Hours
- Please contact the archive for further information about visiting.
- Archival and Other Holdings
The Royal Ballet School Collections trace the activities of the institution from its founding in 1926 as the Academy of Choreographic Art to the present day. School records include student registers, teaching notes, school reports, prospectuses, performance records and photographs. The Collections also relate more broadly to the development of British Ballet, with substantial collections of lithographs, periodicals, programmes, press cuttings and books. Many key personal collections are of international significance: they include those of the Founder of The Royal Ballet School and Companies, Ninette de Valois (RBS/NDV); records of the Camargo Ballet Society, whose Treasurer was the economist, John Maynard Keynes (RBS/CBS); and the class notes of the great teacher, Vera Volkova, among whose students were Margot Fonteyn, Erik Bruhn and Rudolf Nureyev (RBS/VOL).
White Lodge Museum & Ballet Resource Centre opened in 2009. It is housed within White Lodge which has been the home of The Royal Ballet Lower School since 1955. Museum exhibitions interpret two parallel stories: the development of Classical ballet, with a focus on The Royal Ballet, and the history of Grade I listed White Lodge, originally a royal hunting villa. A digital Ballet Resource Centre, designed to allow a large volume of archival material to be presented electronically, is embedded within the Museum.
White Lodge Museum promotes access to and enjoyment of The Royal Ballet School Collections through a broad programme of exhibitions and events. Visitors can learn about the daily life of students at The Royal Ballet School, the history and development of Classical ballet and the fascinating story of White Lodge itself. Appointments may be booked to research collections which are not on display.
- The Arnold Haskell Collection
- The Bournemouth Ballet Club Collection
- The Camargo Ballet Society Collection
- The Charles Hedges Collection
- The Christelle Cleaver Collection
- The Claudia Mair Williams Collection
- Collection of material relating to the Stannus family
- Collection of material relating to Ninette de Valois
- Collection of material relating to Anna Pavlova
- The G.B.L. Wilson Collection
- The Georgina Green Collection
- The Harold Turner and Gerd Larsen Collection
- The Joan Lawson Collection
- The Joy Newton Collection
- The Legat Collection
- The Leila McCutcheon Collection
- The Lilian Scott Wood Collection
- The Mikhail Berkut Collection
- The Mimi Legat Collection
- Papers of Léonide Massine Composition Course
- The Ursula Moreton Collection
- The Vera Volkova Collection
- The Winifred Edwards Collection