Institution of Mechanical Engineers Archive
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Related Resources
- +44 (0)20 7973 1265
- 1 Bird Cage Walk, London, SW1H 9JJ, England, United Kingdom
- Opening Hours
- Closed to public access. See access details below.
- Access Information
- The Archive of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers is currently closed to physical visitors due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Please get in touch with us via email@example.com or 020 7973 1265 with any enquiries. Some archive material can be viewed online via our catalogue here, or via our Virtual Archive at https://archives.imeche.org/. Thank you for your understanding at this time.
- Archival and Other Holdings
The Institution of Mechanical Engineers has an important archive which
charts the history of the Institution and of mechanical engineering.
Railway engineering, manufacturing, power plant development and
automobile development are particularly well represented.
Personal papers of prominent mechanical engineers such as George and
Robert Stephenson and Frederick Lanchester include a range of materials
from notebooks to blueprints. Company records include those of: D.
Napier & Son Ltd (engine builders); Livesey Henderson & Co (railway
contractors); Joseph Whitworth & Co (machine and measuring tools
manufacturer); and Nasmyth Gaskell & Co (machine tool manufacturers).
Our Institutional records date from our founding in 1847 and include
Council and Committee minutes and membership proposal forms. Archives of
merged bodies, the Institution of Automobile Engineers and the
Institution of Locomotive Engineers, are also held. In addition we hold
records of complementary organizations such as the Association of
Railway Locomotive Engineers.
Models range from those by the Victorian model maker John Penn and Sons
to the modern model engineer Cherry Hill: as well as a fine model of
Stephenson's Rocket, built by Dr J Bradbury-Winter. [Details of models
can be found on the archive catalogue.]
- Archive of D Napier and Son
- Boulton and Watt Collection
- Collections of George Stephenson and Robert Stephenson
- Engineering Business Papers
- Engineers Personal Papers
- Frederick William Lanchester Collection
- IMechE Virtual Archive
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers Business Papers
- James Nasymth Collections
- Livesey and Henderson Business Papers
- Museum and Object Collection
- Papers and correspondence of Christopher Hinton, Baron Hinton of Bankside
- Papers of Alexander Caldwell Hutchinson
- Papers of Dennis Rock Carling
- Papers of George Stephen Elfer
- Papers of Hydraulic Power Company
- Papers of Norman Charles Watney
- Papers of Sir Ernest Lemon
- Papers of Sir Frank Ewart Smith
- Railway Image Collection
- Robert Hudson Group Records
- Thomas Hurry Riches Collection
- Whitworth and Company Papers