7 photograph albums (1916, nd); Album of negatives (nd); 4 cigar boxes (nd); ca. 400 photographs (1917, nd); Epaulettes, badges and ribbon (nd); 2 press cuttings (nd); Typescript memoranda (23 December 1918-7 February 1919); Typescript letter (29 July 1926); Typescript letter relating to war gratuities (16 June 1921); Manuscript letter from North Western Railway in India (1 August 1914); Typescript correspondence with Railway board (17-24 December 1918); Typescript report "Marine Transport work at Karachi affecting the Locomotive Department" (4 June 1918); 2 booklets "Operations of Indian Expeditionary Force 'D', 1914-1917" (June 1917); Typescript letters relating to the North Western Railway (9-22 January 1916); Typescript and manuscript papers relating to his transfer from India to Mesopotamia, with later correspondence relating to war gratuities etc (6 March 1916-31 December 1918).
Charles Thorpe papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-liddlecollectionmes104
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection MES 104
- Dates of Creation1914-1926
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 boxes; manuscript, typescript, photographs, with some negatives, press cuttings, and printed material. Includes 4 cigar boxes, epaulettes, badges, and ribbon.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
W.A. Charles Thorpe (1880-1958) was a Lieutenant Colonel, serving as Assistant Director of Railways in Mesopotamia from 1916-1919. He worked on Indian railways before and after the First World War.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
The papers were placed in the Collection by Mrs V.P. Thorpe (widow). See Research Correspondence File.
Other Finding Aids
Mesopotamia catalogue (hard copy) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available