- MS 510/2/1-4;BJ Journals, (4), 10 November 1958 to 2 August 1959 [As British observer] 4 volumes, holograph
- MS 504;BJ Antarctic diary, 15 December 1958 to 13 February 1959, 1 volume, typescript (duplicated)
- MS 1097/5;BJ Antarctic diary, 15 December 1958 to 13 February 1959 [Including text of a lecture 'Antarctic explorers today and yesterday', photographs and correspondence] 1 volume, typescript
Priestley, United States Antarctic Expedition
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Sir Raymond Priestley/United States Antarctic Expedition
- Dates of Creation10 November 1958 to 13 February 1959
- Name of Creator
- Physical Description6 volumes
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
From 1955 onwards the United States mounted annual Antarctic expeditions. The naval component of the programme was known as Operation Deep Freeze. Priestley, acting as a British observer, sailed on board USS Staten Island under the command of Henry Davidson. This ship visited Cape Adare and Ross Island during the 1958-1959 season.
The material is arranged chronologically.