G. K. CHESTERTON PAPERS. VOL. CLIX C. Fair copies of poems, most of which were published in The Wild Knight (see references at Add. 73243 A), with comments and suggestions in pencil by Chesterton on versos of preceding leaves; circa 1898. The notes include: 'Not always good style, why present tense? Ask T. F. U. [i.e. T. Fisher Unwin] if I shall correct'. A note on the cover in the hand of Dorothy Collins states that no more were to be published, as the final selection had been made by Chesterton. For W. H. Chesson's comments on this text see Add. 73236, ff. 23-29.
ff. iii+58. 195 x 154mm.
1. ff. 4-5. 'By the babe unborn'.
2. ff. 6-7. 'World lover'.
3. f. 8. 'Ultimate'.
4. f. 9. 'The skeleton'.
5. f. 10. 'The holy of holies'.
6. f. 11. 'The donkey'. A note on f. 10v suggests amending "The devil's parody for God" to "The Devil's walking parody".
7. f. 12. 'The triumph of man'.
8. f. 13. 'The earth's shame'.
9. ff. 15-16. 'A chord of colour'.
10. ff. 18-19. 'The fish'.
11. ff. 20-21. 'The rhyme of the sun'. Not published in The Wild Knight. See references at Add. 73284.
12. ff. 22-23. 'The rhyme of the rain'. Not published in The Wild Knight. Published with variants in C.W., vol. 10, p. 248.
13. ff. 24-25. 'The gate of everywhere'. Not published in The Wild Knight. See references at Add. 73305 A.
14. ff. 27-28. 'The human tree'.
15. ff. 29-30. 'To them that mourn'.
16. f. 31. 'The beatific vision'.
17. f. 32. 'Thou shalt not kill'.
18. f. 33. 'Good news'.
19. f. 34. 'Ego'. Not published in The Wild Knight. See references at Add. 73345 A.
20. f. 35. 'The unpardonable sin'.
21. f. 36. 'Before a snail.' Not published in The Wild Knight. Published as 'The snail' in C.W., vol. 10, pp. 72-73. See also Add. 73348.
22. ff. 37-38. 'The world-mirror' (as 'The mirror of madmen').
23. f. 39. 'Ecclesiastes'.
24. f. 40. 'Vanity'.
25. f. 41. 'A decadent'. Not published in The Wild Knight.
26. ff. 42-43. 'To a certain nation'.
27. f. 44. 'Sodom & Gomohrra'. Not published in The Wild Knight.
28. f. 45. 'A Xmas carol'.
29. f. 46. 'The wandering word' (as 'Alone').
30. ff. 47-48. 'A traveller's tale'. Not published in The Wild Knight. See also Add. 73345 A, 'The pillar box'.
31. ff. 49-50. 'The deluge'. See references at Add. 73343 C.
32. f. 51. 'At night'.
33. ff. 54-55. 'The one-eyed' (as 'Cyclopean').
34. f. 56. 'A spelling lesson' (only the first three stanzas survive in this volume; see also Add. 73305 A, 73345 A).