Correspondence and literary papers of Maria Edgeworth (1768-1849), with papers of Richard Lovell Edgeworth, Michael Pakenham Edgeworth and other members of the Edgeworth family, mainly 1778-1886.
Papers of Maria Edgeworth (1768-1849), and the Edgeworth family, 17th-19th century
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 696-747, d. 529-32; Eng. misc. a. 30, b. 432, c. 894-905, d. 1299-1307, e. 1459-77, f. 859-62, g. 356; Eng. poet. c. 83, d. 255, e. 187-90; Facs. c. 98-9; Photogr. c. 6, g. 2-4
- Dates of Creation17th century-19th century (predominantly 1778-1886)
- Language of MaterialEnglish, and French.
- Physical Description115 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The collection comprises papers of Maria Edgeworth (1768-1849), novelist and children's writer, Richard Lovell Edgeworth (1744-1817), author, Michael Pakenham Edgeworth (1812-1881), botanist, and other members of the Edgeworth family. For a bibliography of the works of Maria Edgeworth, see Bertha Coolidge Slade, Maria Edgeworth, 1767-1849, a bibliographical tribute (London, 1937). For a biography of Maria Edgeworth, see Marilyn Butler, Maria Edgeworth - a literary biography (Oxford, 1972). Details can also be found in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections)
Given to the Library, 1982-7.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A catalogue of the collection is available online at http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollectionswmss/online/online.htm.
Alternative Form Available
For conservation reasons, microfilms are to be consulted in place of the original papers.