- MS 101/15/1-4;D Letters (4) to William Speirs Bruce, 1913 [Brief letters on his work on helminths collected on the British Antarctic Expedition, 1910-1913] 4 leaves, holograph
- MS 559/24/1-49;D Letters (49) to Apsley Cherry-Garrard, 26 April 1913 to 28 November 1928 [Personal letters regarding their activities with news of other comrades] 49 leaves, autograph
- MS 1023/1-2;D Letters (2) to Dr A Mead, 31 December 1910 and 11 October 1911 [News of British Antarctic Expedition's progress, some of it communicated in confidence] 2 leaves, holograph
- MS 1016/340;D Letters to Caroline Oates (Mother of Lawrence), 31 January 1913 from Terra Nova in the Ross Sea [On the circumstances of her son's death] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 1144;D Letter to Miss May Patterson, 22 October 1911 [Written from the Hut, Cape Evans, gives a short account of the activities during the winter and expresses hope of reaching the pole and the Norwegian expedition of Amundsen] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 1453/46/1-12;D Letters (12) to Kathleen Scott, 19 April 1913 to 30 September 1915 [Various topics including personal news; interview with J. Foster Stackhouse, news of other Terra Nova veterans] 12 leaves, holograph
- MS 559/25/1-2;D Letters (2) to Reginald Smith, London 19 and 24 April 1913 from 19 Cleveland Gardens [Arrangements with the British Museum for publishing scientific results of the British Antarctic Expedition, 19101-193 expedition, progress of work, lunch with Mr Shipley] 2 leaves, autograph
- MS 1453/47;D Letter to Reginald Smith, 9 October 1914 [Regarding Charles Wright and W.W. Archer] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 1178/1-2;D Letters (2) to Charles Wright, 22 February 1912 [British Antarctic Expedition, 1910-1913, from Hut point, regarding Teddy Evans and scurvy, asks Wright to hurry to meet the last returning party, regarding disposal of instruments for expedition] 2 leaves, holograph (Xerox)
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Edward Leicester Atkinson/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation1910-1914
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionCirca 74 letters
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Correspondence by Atkinson, the majority was written during or relating to the British Antarctic Expedition, 1910-1913. Correspondents include, William Speirs Bruce, Kathleen Scott and Charles Wright.
The correspondence is arranged alphabetically by recipient.