- MS 395/62/1-5;BL Letters (5) to George Back, 1833 to 1848 [Regarding the British Northwest Passage Expedition (Canadian, Arctic Archipelago), 1829-1833 (leader John Ross), the British Expedition in search of Ross (Canada, Mackenzie/Keewitn districts), 1833-1835 (leader George Back) the British Naval Exploring Expedition (Canada Arctic Archipelago), 1836-1837 (leader George Back) and requesting information on McClure] 6 leaves, holograph
- MS 1327/1-2;D Letters (2) to Sir Francis Beaufont,  and 1844 [Praise of John Davis and confirming his opinion that Port William, Falkland Islands is preferable to Port Louis as a naval station] 3 leaves, holograph
- MS 335/2;D Letter to Edward Joseph Bird, 9 April 1839 [Commissioning him to join HMS Terror at Chatham] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 817/1-2;D Letter to Francis Crozier, 6 January 1848 and memoranda, undated [Letter last message prior to the sailing of Plover on the British Naval Franklin Search Expedition, (Northwest Alaska/Russian Arctic), 1848-1853 (leader Thomas Moore) and a note on the deposit of a message and a cache of provisions for the Franklin party, British Naval Northwest Passage Expedition, 1845-1848] 5 leaves, holograph
- MS 248/467/1-2;D Letters (2) to Jane Franklin, 13 November 1854 and 1 February 1860 [Regarding traces of the British Naval Northwest Passage Expedition, 1845-1948 (leader Sir John Franklin) near mouth of the Great Fish River and the results of the British Franklin Search Expedition, 1857-1859 (leader Francis McClintock)] 3 leaves, holograph
- MS 248/467/3-5;D Letters (3) to John Franklin, 29 March 1834 to 2 May 1842 [Regarding the British Northwest Passage Expedition, 1829-1833 (leader John Ross) and the British Naval Expedition, 1839-1843 to the Antarctic] 4 leaves, holograph
- MS 1229/3;D Letter to Joseph Hooke, 14 January [unknown] [Regarding the British Naval Expedition, 1839-1843 to the Arctic] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 604/1-25;D Letters (25) to Joseph Dalton Hooker, 1844-1847 [Including mention of botany of Falkland Islands and voyage of James Weddell] photocopies
- MS 621/1/1-4;D Letters (4) Sir William Hooker, 10 December 1827 to September 1840 [Regarding botany and Joseph Dalton Hooker] photocopies
- MS 577/1-2;D Letters (2) to Philip Parker King, 12 April to 19 November 1841 [Regarding D'Urville and comparison work and future plans] 5 leaves, holograph
- MS 1229/4;D Letter to Captain Manby, 21 January 1850 [Information on the engine of the steam launch of HMS Enterprise ] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 999/5/1-2;D Letter to George Ross, 11 September 1836 [Regarding a newspaper article] 2 leaves, holograph
- MS 486/4/1-13;MCL Letters (13) to Sir John Ross, 1819-1835 [Regarding his uniform, Captain Sabine's magnetic observations, promotion, discovery of North Magnetic Pole, family matters] 13 leaves, holograph
- MS 999/5/2;D Letter to Miss Stewart, 31 October 1843 [Accepting invitation] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 1226/24;D Letter to editors of a unnamed French Journal,  [Informing them of mistake in placing him on list of deceased corresponding members] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 621/2;D Letter to unknown correspondence, 25 April 1826 [Regarding plants collected during 'our late voyage'] 3 leaves, photocopy
- MS 1243;MJ Miscellaneous correspondence [Including letters to Ross from John Richards, Edward Belcher, Francis Beaufont and Ann Coulman] microfilm
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Sir James Clark Ross/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation1819-1860
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionCirca 39 loose letters and 1 microfilm MS 1243;MJ is on microfilm.
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The correspondence relates to a number of subjects both public and personal. There is also a collection of miscellaneous letters received by Ross.
The correspondence is arranged alphabetically by recipient.
Alternative Form Available
MS 577/1-2;D, MS 604/1-25;D, MS 621/1/1-4;D, MS 621/2;D, MS 999/5/1;D, MS 99/5/2;D and MS 1243;MJ are copies.
MS 577/1-2;D In Mitchell Library part of the State Library of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, MS 604/1-25;D, MS 621/1/1-4;D and MS 621/2;D are in the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, London, England, MS 999/5/1;D and MS 999/5/2;D are in the Riveredge Foundation, Calgary, Canada and MS 1243;MJ are in the Public Record Office, Kew, London, England (in 1982)