Holograph manuscript of Stanley Middleton's first, unpublished, novel, 'Some strange name', in two hardback notebooks. At the beginning of the first notebook is an epigraph, comprised of James Joyce's poem 'Some Strange Name', and a verse by Frédéric Mistral. The first 17 sheets (34 pages of text) are detached from this volume. The manuscript ends at page 112 of the second volume, and the author has noted that the novel was written at Aldershot, Secunderabad, and Kalyan during 1943-1945 [when he was serving in the armed forces].
Manuscript by Stanley Middleton
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 DSW/1/4/2/1
- Dates of Creation1943-1945
- Physical Description2 hardback volumes Both volumes are in poor condition. The binding of the first volume is unstable, and the first 17 sheets of the notebook are detached.