Picture postcard (25 November 1915); Fragment of Dispersal Certificate (nd); Messages and signals form (nd); Movement order (March 1919); Demobilization certificate (2 October 1919); Manuscript notebook (nd); Memorandum (12 April 1919); 2 photographs (1918, 1919); Typescript extract from 'Neglected War: Mesopotamia, 1914-1918' by A.J. Barker (nd); Manuscript recollections 'Background' (16 April 1982); Manuscript recollections 'Recuitment' (16 July 1982); Manuscript recollections 'My Baghdad Duties, 1917-1919' (29 July 1982); 3 medals, including 1914-1915 Star (1914-1919).
Walter Gledhill papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection MES 037
- Dates of Creation1914-1982
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 file; manuscript, typescript, photographs, a postcard, and printed material; Includes 3 medals.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Walter Gordon Gledhill, born at Burley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire in 1889, was a Private, later Sergeant, 2nd Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, and Sergeant, Royal Military Foot Police, serving in Mesopotamia, 1915-1919.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Other Finding Aids
Mesopotamia catalogue (hard copy) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available