Largely a compilation of poems by Oliver Style, probably autograph, copied 1698-1703, with some items added in a second hand.
Poems by Oliver Style
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 10
- Dates of Creationca.1670-ca.1710
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (78 ff.) Copies (1 pencil, 1 pen-and-ink wash) of two 18th-century oval portraits on verso of front free endpaper and recto of an inserted leaf facing it. Recto of front free endpaper bears inscription "John Boys His Book given him by his Mother. August 11. 1733", besides others. With armorial bookplate of Osmund Beauvoir. 18th-century calf binding with label inscribed: "John Boys His Book" and an identification of Boys as a descendant of Sir John Boys, 1607-64, Royalist military commander. With three tiny cut-out paper animals, found in the manuscript, now in a plastic folder.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Oliver Style, ca.1660-1703, of Wateringbury in Kent, was the son of Sir Thomas Style, from whom he inherited the baronetcy only three months before his own death on 12 February 1702/03. He was employed as a factor in Smyrna, Asia Minor.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted
Bought from Bernard Quaritch Ltd. (ex Christie), August 1963
Other Finding Aids
Indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/intro.html