Two holograph copies of a Welsh translation by William Owen-Pughe of Milton's 'Paradise Lost'. The first copy (225 ff.) was written between 30 May and 22 December 1818 whereas the second (224 ff.) was written between [23 December 1818] and 17 [February] 1819, the dates given in square brackets being taken from the diary (NLW MS 13248B). There are differences in orthography between the two copies, the ç, d, and v of I having been altered in II to ch, dd, and f respectively. In II only is there a translation of 'The Argument' to each Book of the poem (rendered by the translator 'Y Defnydd') and this is the copy which was used by the printers when the translation was published under the title Coll Gwynfa in 1819.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 210 NLW MS 13249B I-II.
- Alternative Id.(alternative) vtls006010645
- Dates of Creation1818-1819 /
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialWelsh.
- Physical DescriptionFormerly unbound, now repaired and bound in quarter leather.All the pages are partly discoloured and affected by damp.All the pages are partly discoloured and affected by damp.
- LocationARCH/MSS (GB0210)
Scope and Content
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Mysevin 29, I-II.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 13249B I-II.
Other Finding Aids
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Alternative Form Available