Records of the Joint Steering Group of the RCOG and Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care, including correspondence and reports on the remit of the Joint Steering Group, related press clippings and reports (1972-1995), papers on a conference on emergency hormonal contraception (1994-1995) and of the research and audit sub-group (1994), and meeting papers and correspondence of the Steering Group, together with records of expenses.
Records of the Joint Steering Group of the RCOG and Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1538 RCOG/C23
- Dates of Creation1992 - 1995
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 boxes
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Joint Steering Group of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care on teenage pregnancy was set up in July 1993. Its terms of reference were in line with the definition in Section D of the government document "Health of the Nation"(1993):
1. To reduce the rate of conception amongst the under 16s by at least 50% by the year 2000.
2. To reduce the number of unintended teenage pregnancies.
3. To ensure the provision of effective family planning services for those people who wanted them.The first chairman was Stanley Simmons PRCOG, followed by David Bromham, chairman of the Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care (FFPRHC). Members of the group also included representatives of the British Medical Association, the Royal College of Nursing, the Department of Health, the Health Education Authority and the Brook Advisory service.
On 24th August 1993 it established three working groups to consider: emergency contraception, its availability, access and promotion; the need and content of research and audit; all aspects of sex education and promotion in relation to teenagers and other related groups. In 1994 the second working group passed its research and findings to the Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care who were establishing an audit unit, and ceased to investigate further. The Steering Group organised a consensus conference on emergency hormonal contraception in December 1994; a book was produced.
Conditions Governing Access
Permission from RCOG senior management via the College Archivist is required for access to College records less than twenty years old.
Internal transfers from the President's Office and the College Secretary's Office.