Published reports of the Representative Committee on Fetal Viability.
RCOG records of the Representative Committee on Fetal Viability
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb1538-rcog/c/rcog/c37
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1538 RCOG/C37
- Dates of Creation1985 - 1987
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 items
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
By the early 1980s improvements in the management of very small babies meant that many were surviving below the 28 week gestation period on which abortion legislation was based. A joint committee representing the RCOG, British Paediatric Association, Royal College of General Practitioners, Royal College of Midwives and the British Medical Assocociation was formed to consider the subject and formulate a joint statement on the issue. The Department of Health and Social Security sent observers. The statement was issued in 1985.
Conditions Governing Access