Manuscripts collected by Anthony Askew, relating to classical literature. The manuscripts include notes by Dr John Taylor and alphabetical lists of words in the works of classical authors by Johannes Caravella.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.auct.v.2infra2.1-11,11,11,12-15;bodl.960-4
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Auct. V. 2 infra 2. 1-11, 11, 11, 12-15; Bodl. 960-4
- Dates of Creation18th century
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialLatin, English, and Ancient Greek (to 1453).
- Physical Description22 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Anthony Askew (1722-1774) was a classical scholar, physician and collector of manuscripts and books. Further details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The manuscripts were bought at the auction of the library of Anthony Askew in 1785.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, nos. 27897-918.