Image of a workman next to the Augustus head, presumably in the spot it was found at site 292. Album print marked '292 M11'.
Meroë site 292: Discovery of Augustus Head
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3431 JG/M/J/3
- Former ReferenceGB 3431 J.3GB 3431 M.366
- Dates of Creation1911
- Physical Description1 silver gelatine dry plate glass negative (188mm x 124mm)
- Digital Content
Scope and Content
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
Negative is slightly scratched.
The head is held by the British Museum (GR 1911.9-1.1).
Conditions Governing Use
The digital image is copyright of the University of Liverpool.
Published in T. Opper, (2014), The Meroë Head of Augustus, British Museum Object in Focus Series, Pl. 5; Török, (1997), Meroë City, Vol. 2, pl.110, labelled ‘M 292 Area in front of door from SW. Find place of bronze Augustus head with find still in situ (?)’.