Image of graffiti on a wall discovered in site 903, which Garstang believed depicted a transit instrument used by an astronomer. Album print labelled 'stone wall in 903'. Handwritten note with negative states 'Meroë R16 903 M14'.
Meroë site 903: stone wall
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3431 JG/M/R/16
- Former ReferenceGB 3431 R.16GB 3431 M.649
- Dates of Creation1914
- Physical Description1 silver gelatine dry plate glass negative (167mm x 120mm)
- Digital Content
Scope and Content
Conditions Governing Use
The digital image is copyright of the University of Liverpool.
Sketch of the graffiti was published in Garstang (1916) 'Fifth interim report on the excavation at Meroë, Ethiopia', Liverpool Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology, Vol. VII, pl. VI.2, labelled 'a second weathered graffito of transit instrument on stone’