Image of a printing proof depicting comparing a cast of the Augustus head found at site 292 to the head of a statue of Augustus discovered at Prima Porta. Handwritten note with negative states 'Aa.17, Augustus head & Prima Porta Head, LAAA 4 Pl. Xv, slide 16 M3'.
Meroë: 'Augustus head & Prima Porta Head'
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3431 JG/M/AA/17
- Former ReferenceGB 3431 AA.17GB 3431 M.798
- Dates of Creation[1911-1914]
- Physical Description1 silver gelatine dry plate glass negative (80mm x 103mm)
- Digital Content
Scope and Content
The Meroë head is held by the British Museum (GR 1911.9-1.1). The Prima Porta statue is now displayed in Braccio Nuovo of the Vatican Museums.
Conditions Governing Use
The digital image is copyright of the University of Liverpool.
Garstang, (1912), ‘Second Interim Report on the Excavations of Meroë in Ethiopia’, Liverpool Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology, Vol. IV, pl. XV, labelled 'portraits of Augustus compared'.