Image of a statue of a nude woman ('Venus of Meroë') discovered in the tank at site 195 ('Royal Baths') possibly in situ. Album print labelled 'The "Venus of Meroë" from the Great Baths'. Handwritten note with negative states 'Meroë L2 54, 194 M12'. Album print marked 'Meroë 1912 194'.
Meroë site 195: 'Venus of Meroë'
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3431 JG/M/LA/54
- Former ReferenceGB 3431 L2.54GB 3431 M.172
- Dates of Creation1912
- Physical Description1 silver gelatine dry plate glass negative (124mm x 188mm)
- Digital Content
Scope and Content
The statue is now held by the Museum Ägyptischer Kunst, Munich (1334).
Conditions Governing Use
The digital image is copyright of the University of Liverpool.
Published in Garstang, (1913), ‘Third interim Report on the Excavations of Meroë in Ethiopia’, Liverpool Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology, Vol. V, pl. IX.3. Full description of the statue can be found in Török, (1997), Meroë City, Vol. I, p80, reference 195-4(S).