Image of a printing proof comparing a cast of the Augustus head found at site 292 to a head of a statue of Augustus found at Prima Porta. Handwritten note with negative states 'Aa.16 Augustus Head and Prima Porta Head Profile, Annals IV pl. XVI 17 M3'.
Meroë: 'Augustus head and Prima Porta Head profile'
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3431 JG/M/AA/16
- Former ReferenceGB 3431 AA.16GB 3431 M.797
- Dates of Creation[1911-1914]
- Physical Description1 silver gelatine dry plate glass negative (80mm x 103mm)
- Digital Content
Scope and Content
The Meroë head is held by the British Museum (GR 1911.9-1.1). The Prima Porta statue is now displayed in Braccio Nuovo of the Vatican Museums.
Conditions Governing Use
The digital image is copyright of the University of Liverpool.
Garstang, (1912), ‘Second Interim Report on the Excavations of Meroë in Ethiopia’, Liverpool Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology, Vol IV, pl.XVI, labelled 'Portraits of Augustus compared'.