Autograph prose letter, dated 7 December 1742, ostensibly from Thomson's dog Buff to another named Marquis, the pet of Mrs Mary Robertson, giving advice about canine conduct and morals. The letter appears to be an echo of Thomson's friend Alexander Pope's "Bounce to Fop".
Letter from 'Buff' to 'Marquis', by James Thomson
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt q 67
- Dates of Creation1742
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 ff. conjoined, manuscript. Autograph manuscript. On f.2v there is an early endorsement in a different hand from that of the main text which reads 'From Thomson to Mrs Robertson's Dog Marquis'.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
James Thomson (1700-1748) the Scottish poet and dramatist. For fuller details of his life and literary achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Quaritch on 6 April 1998.