Comprising photograph of the President James Wordie with Thomas McKenny Hughes (page 1a); signatures of participants (page 1); group photograph (page 1a); an introduction to the expedition (page 2); a diary list of places visited (page 3); geological maps of the Malverns (page 3b); account of groups arrival and expedition to Herefordshire Beacon (page 4); postcard photograph of view from the British Camp Malvern (page 4b); account of excursion to investigate the north-west side of the Malverns including the Dingle Quarry and also including an annotated postcard (pages 5-8); photograph of brick-pit in Keuper Marls north-east of north hill, showing step-faulting (page 8b); account of excursion to study the southern Malverns including lists of fossils recovered and a photograph of the group taking lunch (page 9-13); account of explorations towards Colwall including details of fossils collected (pages 14-15); details of excursion from south Malverns to white-leaved oak including postcard of Ragged Stone Hill, Holly Bush near Ledbury and including small geological sketches and photographs (page 16-21); notes of excursion at the Ledbury tunnel and surrounding areas, including a group photograph taken after lunch, a photograph of cutting in Downtonian near entrance to tunnel in Ledbury Station, postcards of Ledbury hounds, photographs of Church Passage, Market House, and The Park (22-28); notes of excursion to Colwall Station and Purlieu Lane including group photographs, a photograph of the dam constructed in Purlieu Lane, photograph of the group working just below the dam, photograph of Wyche Pass Malvern, and some sketches (pages 29-35); details of excursion to Woolthorpe and Dingle in separate groups, and also including photographs of north and south-east end of Dingle Quarry, West Malvern (pages 36-28). Also including notes about the Hotel accommodation, including a pamphlet and a dinner menu.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 590 SGWC 2/2/15
- Dates of Creation1913
- Physical Description1 volume
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The club stayed at 'The British Camp Hotel', Wynds Point, near Malvern, and Mrs F. Jones was the proprietress.
- Thursday April 3rd: Arrival & expedition to Herefordshire Beacon.
- Friday April 4th: North West Malverns, Dingle Quarry.
- Saturday April 5th : South Malverns, between Herefordshire Beacon to Hollybush Pass.
- Sunday April 6th : Colwall.
- Monday April 7th :South Malverns to White-leaved oak.
- Tuesday April 8th :Ledbury Tunnel and surrounding Area.
- Wednesday April 9th :Colwell Station, Purlieu Lane.
- Thursday April 10th :Dingle, Woolhope.
- Friday April 11th :Departure.
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
Slight abrasion and discolouration, and slight to moderate fading of papers, text and photographs.[Conservation postgraduate student assessment, 2011]