Comprising signed list of participants (page 1); maps (page 2); print of Bedford from Minffordd depicting cattle (page 2b); expedition account to Portmadoc and Minffordd (page 3);expedition notes to Garth Barn and Garth Hill including details of fossils located (page 4); account of excursion to Maentwrog by Edwin Arthur Peters (page 6); photograph of Cynicht and River, Glaslyn (page 6b); account of expedition to Can-y-Coed by F.H Barclay (page 8); account of expedition to examine the Taw-y-Grissiau Granite and onto Blainau Festinog (page 9); photograph of scenery (page 10b); account of expedition to Portmadoc by train and a visit to a quarry, Tyddyn, Llandeile Slates, and Penmorsfa Village, and telegrams detailing crickets scores between Oxford and Cambridge (2) (pages 11-12); a letter from C.A Benn recalling an expedition with Banks to the Blaenau Ffestinog and details of fossils collected, April 1891 (page 13); account of excursion to Borth by John Edward Marr (page 15); account of expedition to Tan-y-Grisiau and section diagrams by D.H Moore (page 17); account of expedition to Ffestiniog and Portaraforigam by C.A Benn (page 18); account of visit to Church, labelling fossils, writing diaries and walk along Penrhyn road, by Elizabeth Dale (page 19); account of excursion to Llanbedrig and a quarry (page 20); and a list of flowering plants including grasses and some ferns collected, by Elizabeth Dale.
Plas Tan Y Bwlch
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 590 SGWC 2/2/9
- Dates of Creation1891
- Physical Description1 volume
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Participants included Professor Thomas McKenny Hughes; Mary Caroline Hughes; Elizabeth Dale; D.H Moore; J.H Barclay; Percy J. Preece; CM Corbett; J.W Madeley; H. Kynaston; Edwin Arthur Peters; John Edward Marr; B.W Watson; C.A Benn; J Roberts; J.R.C Reed; Malcolm Laurie; and E.H Tetley.
- Thursday 25th June 1891: Portmadoc, Minffordd, diabase quarry at Garth Ridge.
- Friday 26th June 1891: Minfordd.
- Saturday 27th June 1891: Maentwrog
- Sunday 28th June 1891: Cae’n-y-coed.
- Monday 29th June 1891: Walking party to examine the Tanygrisiau Granite. Blainau Festinog.
- Tuesday 30th June 1891: Portmadoc, quarry, Tyddyn, Llandeile slates, Penmorfa Village.
- Thursday July 2nd 1891: Borth.
- Friday July 3rd 1891: Tan-y-Grisiau.
- Saturday July 4th 1891: Ffestinog.
- Sunday July 5th 1891: Church.
- Monday July 6th 1891: Llanbedrig Quarry.
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
Spine broken, but still available, heavy foxing and discoloration, loose pages and some serious fading of photographs, worn covers and loose plant samples. [Conservation postgraduate student assessment, 2011]