Comprising list of excursions undertaken (page 1); signed list of those in attendance (page 2); section diagram of area covered during first excursion to Thornship Gill (page 3); sketch of geologists ascending and descending a fell (page 4); section diagram across River Lowther near Shap Abbey (page 6); a sketch of Shap Abbey by William Carter (page 7); a sketch of an ancient sign of Greyhound Inn, carved in low relief (page 8); a sketch of a 'Beware of the Bull' warning copied from a gate near Shap Abbey (page 9); second expedition section diagrams of Clifton, Askham, Arthurs Pike, High Raise, Marsdale and Swindale (page 11); list of local dialect words and meaning (page 12); brief list of deer and birds seen (page 13); section diagrams from Knipe Scar to Crossfell (pages 15, 17); fifth excursion section diagram of Shap summit, Orton Scar and Crosby Ravensworth (page 20); a sketch of McKenny Hughes at Crosby Ravensworth (page 21); newspaper cuttings about a concert (2) (page 22); sketch of a china cock (page 25); Shap summit cutting (page 26); sixth excursion section diagram of Wasdale Crag and Shap Wells (page 28); seventh excursion section diagram of Tebay, Birkbeck Fell and Shap Fells (page 31).
Book of Shap
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 590 SGWC 2/2/2
- Dates of Creation1882
- Physical Description1 volume
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The group stayed at the Greyhound Hotel, Shap. Joseph Richardson was named as the proprietor of this establishment. Participants included: Thomas McKenny Hughes; Robert Davies Roberts; William Lower Carter; G. Pagau; Evan William Small; and James Richard Davis.
A list of expeditions is given in the front of the scrapbook:
- Friday June 30th: Rendezvous.
- Saturday July 1st: Thonship Gill, Great Ladstones.
- Sunday July 2nd: Shap Church, Shap Abbey.
- Monday July 3rd: Clifton, Askham, Arthurs Pike, High Raise, Marsdale, Swindale.
- Tuesday July 4th: Shap Granite Works.
- Wednesday July 5th: Shap summit, Orton Scar, Crosby Ravensworth.
- Thursday July 6th: Wasdale Crag, Shap Wells.
- Friday July 7th: Tebay, Brethendale, Birkeck Fells.
Fragile, please ask staff for assistance if required.