Book file containing manuscript, proofs and further papers relating to East German poetry: an anthology, edited by Michael Hamburger (Oxford: Carcanet Press, 1972), printed by W. and J. Mackay. Hamburger did most of the translations himself, but other translators who worked on the volume are Christopher Middleton; Ruth and Matthew Mead; Christopher Levenson; and Gordon and Gisela Brotherton. The poems in the anthology are presented in both English and German. Poets represented are: Bertolt Brecht; Peter Huchel; Johannes Bobrowski; Günter Kunert; Heinz Kahlau; Reiner Kunze; Sarah Kirsch; Karl Mickel; Wolf Biermann; Kurt Bartsch; Volker Braun; and Bernd Jentzsch. The book was prepared for publication in America by Dutton, and Carcanet subsequently took over the publication of the British edition.
Michael Hamburger, East German poetry
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 CPA/1/1/1/37
- Former ReferenceGB 133 Sequence 1, Boxes 16-17
- Dates of Creation1972n.d.
- Physical Description3 pieces; 550 sheets