Comprises: (1) Sixteen poems (ff.1-37), including items by Etherege, Sedley, and Pittis, and others possibly autograph, including one addressed to Charles II by John Crofts and others addressed to William III and Mary II and concerning the Duke of Marlborough; (2) A dramatic fragment 'Found in the Duke of Buckingham's pocket at his death' (ff.22r-23r); (3) A poem in Latin (f.30r); (4) A song in French (f.35r); (5) Various business papers of the Crofts family of Saxham, Suffolk, and the Sebright (or Seabright) family.
Miscellaneous collection of poems and other papers of the Crofts and Sebright families
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt q 48
- Dates of Creation1670-1833
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish French Latin
- Physical Description2 envelopes (84 ff.), manuscript with a little printed material. Many different hands are represented in the collection.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Some members of the Crofts family lived in Saxham, Suffolk, and some members of the Sebright Family lived in London. Sir John Sebright (1767-1846) married Harriet Crofts in 1793.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased at Sotheby's on 21 November 1984.
Mainly in English, but with some French and Latin.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bcltq48