Contains: (1) ff.2-66: Commentaries on the Gospels, beginning at St Matthew, chapter 24; (2) ff.67-93: 39 articles of faith of the Church of England, as proved genuine from Scripture authority; (3) ff.95-161 (but beginning from f.161 and inverted in relation to the previous two sections of text): Glossary of Latin words, with examples of usages. Inserted in the manuscript is a letter dated 27 February 1956 from Charles Smyth, Rector of St Margaret's Church, Westminster, to Canon Bartlett concerning Dean Webber and his manuscript.
Divinity notebook, compiled by James Webber
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-riponcathedralms50
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Ripon Cathedral MS 50
- Dates of Creationca.1800-1850
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Latin Greek
- Physical Description1 vol. (162 ff.) Modern pencil foliation. Ff.92, 94, 105-8, 115-120, 123, 125-146, 150-6, 158-160 are blank. With leather spine poorly preserved, and marbled boards. On the flyleaf there is the word "Divinity" written and the signature "I. Webber. Aed. Xhi. Al.", both probably in the same hand as the text. On the endpaper is written the name "I. Webber", and an armorial bookplate for "James Webber, B.D." is pasted in.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
James Webber was dean of Ripon, 1828-1847. For an account of his life see Memorials of Ripon (Surtees Society, vol.78), 2, pp.329-330.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted
Mainly in English, but with some Latin and Greek
Formerly shelved as XVIII.G.30.