National Council for the Abolition of the Death Penalty: minutes, 1923-48; annual reports, 1925-48; balance sheets, 1925-35. Thou Shalt Not Kill, 1932-4; (WarTime) Bulletin, 1940-9; other publications.
National Council for the Abolition of the Death Penalty
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb152-mss.16b/adp
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 152 MSS.16B/ADP
- Dates of Creation1923-1948
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description[ not recorded ]
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Council was set up in 1925, after 18 months' work by a Consultative Council of representatives of societies working for abolition. In 1948, it merged with the Howard League for Penal Reform.
Reference: Chris Cook and David Waller, The Longman Guide to Sources in Contemporary British History 1: Organisations and Societies (Longman, 1994)
Conditions Governing Access
Authority files exist for the National Council (GB 152 AAR0715), the Howard League (GBR 0152 AAR0714) and the Penal Reform League (GBR 0152 AAR0716).
The records were deposited with the Centre by the Howard League, in 1974.