Contains 28 eighteenth-century English religious, moral, and political poems of various authorship.
Poetical commonplace-place book, mainly compiled by Eliza Marriott
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 103
- Dates of Creationca. 1740-1804
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (178 ff.), manuscript. Written mainly in a single hand, probably that of Eliza Marriott, but there are also at least two other hands found in the manuscript. Ff.92v-170v are blank. The remaining text on ff.171-178 is written in one of the different hands from the other end of the volume, upsidedown in relation to the main text, and was probably added last, after 1803. Bound in boards which have worn marbling on the outside and with a slightly damaged leather spine. There is an armorial bookplate of the Marriott family pasted on to the inside front cover, and the signature of 'Eliza Marriott, Darfield, 1763' is written on the top of the facing flyleaf.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Eliza Marriott (fl. 1763) is otherwise unknown.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Heath's bookshop on 23 June 1994.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt103