Notes and exposition of the Catechism, beginning (f.1r): "The Catechisme Qu: In whom doe you beleue. An: I beleue in one God the father the sonne and the holie ghoste...(etc.)"
Notes and exposition of the Catechism, compiled by Anthony Higgin
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Ripon Cathedral MS 32
- Dates of Creationca.1613
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Latin Greek
- Physical Description1 vol. (51 ff.) Ff.1-40 are foliated in contemporary ink, but lack ff.34-37, which have been roughly torn out. The notes on f.4 are dated Octobris 1613. The manuscript is written in the hand of Anthony Higgin, although the back cover bears the signature "William Lumley". It consists of waste sheets roughly bound in a fragment of parchment manuscript which has been scraped to remove the writing. On the last 11 folios (otherwise blank) are various attempts to begin a letter "Right Worshippfull..."
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Anthony Higgin (d. 1624), the son of Thomas Higgin of Manchester, was educated at St John's College, Cambridge, where he became a Fellow in 1574. In 1583 he became rector of Kirk Deighton near Wetherby in Yorkshire, and in 1608 he was appointed Dean of Ripon an appointment he held until his death. He collected books extensively throughout his life, and left them to the church at Ripon when he died. The surviving part of his collection, which numbers about 1250 volumes, is now preserved in Leeds University Library as part of Ripon Cathedral Library.
Access is unrestricted
From the library of Anthony Higgin, Dean of Ripon
In English and Latin, with a little Greek
Formerly shelved as XVIII.G.18