This file documents a number of aspects connected with the internal business of the Shakespeare Memorial National Theatre Committee.
Areas documented in the file include:
- Correspondence with members of the SMNT Committee about attendance to meetings and role on the Committee, as well as correspondence with members joining or leaving the Committee.
- Correspondence expressing personal opinions about the work of the Committee.
- The appointment of Kenneth Rae as Secretary of SMNT Committee in 1951.
- The provisional transfer of Trusteeship of the SMNT to the South Bank Board, to be later transferred once again to the National Theatre Board, on erection of the Theatre.
- Correspondence about the Shakespeare Memorial Trust and SMNT funds, with argument over the role of the SMNT trustees and their authority over ways in which the trust money is spent.
- The extinction of the SMNT Executive Committee, and the reconstitution of a smaller General Committee.