Correspondence of twin theatre proposal and other issues related to the National Theatre building.
Topics covered include:
- Use of the Old Vic as a second theatre for the National Theatre as opposed to suggestion that it may be possible to equip both theatres immediately (1950).
- Discussion around the size of the auditorium (1950).
- £1m apparently insufficient for the National Theatre project (1950).
- 'Character' and type of repertoire of the smaller/second theatre, 1950.
The file also includes copies of a number of memoranda and notes as follows:
- Notes entitled 'Consultative Panel, terms of reference', on the relative functions of the two theatres within the National Theatre organisation.
- 'Memorandum on the problem of the Twin Theatres - National Theatre scheme' by Hugh Hunt (18/04/1950), and covering note to such memorandum.
- Notes entitled 'To define the functions of the two theatres', referring to item No. 5 on the agenda for meeting of the Joint Council of 08/02/1950.