This file concerns the issues of the funds necessary for the erection and subsidy of the National Theatre. In particular, the file covers the relationship between the Joint Council and the Government in relation to Government assistance to the NT project.
Items covered in the file include:
- A copy of the 'National Theatre Bill and Financial Memorandum' (1949).
- Suggestion that the London County Council and the National Theatre make a joint approach to the Chancellor of the Exchequer about funds for the National Theatre (1947).
- Attempts to include the National Theatre within the Finance Bill [ca. 1948].
- Copy of memorandum on 'The National Theatre', with summary of the current position of the movement, highlighting the necessity for funds [ca. 1945-1952].
- Material documenting the attempt to divert the million pounds reserved for the National Theatre for other uses such as supporting Provincial theatres (1953).
- Material documenting support from the Council of Repertory theatres to the National Theatre project, opposing the suggestion that the million pounds should be spent in the provinces (1953).
- Plans to approach the Chancellor of the Exchequer in October 1954, with the aim to obtain the release of government funds.
- Material documenting Lord Esher's research on the annual sum received by Covent Garden (1958).
- Communications with the Arts Council on the subject of funding for the National Theatre (1958).
- Material documenting Kenneth Rae's lobbying efforts ahead of debate on 'State Aid to the Arts'.