This file covers press releases for publication on the papers, on a variety of topics connected with the National Theatre, as well as articles, memoranda and speech texts. File also includes correspondence accompanying the press statements or articles.
Items covered in the file include:
- Announcement about the formation of the National Theatre Board, with Laurence Olivier as director (1962).
- The addition of Stratford-upon-Avon to the Joint Council of the National Theatre (1960).
- Text of speech by Oliver Lyttelton for National Theatre Opening Ceremony (1951).
- Transcript of talk by Peter Ustinov entitled 'Is the theatre dead or dying?' (1947).
- Copy of article by Robin Whitworth entitled 'Do we need a National Theatre?', (1959).
-Text of 'Speech by the Viscount Esher, for luncheon given by the Piccadilly & St. James' Association. Speech promotes the cause for the National Theatre and stresses the hope that Government funding will be released and that building work for the theatre will begin in the Autumn , finally implementing the 1949 National Theatre Act.
- The file also includes text of speech [by Martin Harvey] advocating the cause of a Shakespeare Memorial National Theatre, as opposed to a monument, and required as worthy tribute to Shakespeare .