This file documents the involvement of Stratford-upon-Avon in the National Theatre project, the role of the Old Vic and the issue of inclusion of opera in the National Theatre. Areas covered include:
- Inclusion of Stratford on the Joint Council (1960), and early dicussion about this potential collaboration (1955).
- Negotiations relating to this new arrangement.
- List of represeatives of Stratford on the Joint Council (1960).
- Issue of he Old Vic as 'second' theatre for the National Theatre, 1955.
- Arguments about the incorporation of opera as well as drama within the National Theatre (1955), and notes entitled 'National Theatre', on the issue of combining opera and drama in the same organisation (1955).
- Discussion about tripartite agreement between the SMNT, the Old Vic and Stratford (1952) and draft Heads of Agreement.
- Flower's proposal that Lyttelton should be a governor of the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre, Straford-on-Avon (1946).