The relationship of the National Theatre with the Old Vic, and discussion about the role of the Old Vic Theatre after the completion of the National Theatre project.
The file includes copies of a number of memoranda and notes as follows:
- Memorandum entitled 'The Old Vic Theatre Centre - The Centre and the National Theatre, Memorandum No. 7', by [G.D.], detailing the role of a theatre school, touring companies and of the Old Vic theatre (25/04/1949).
- Memorandum by Llewellyn Rees 'On the advisability of re-opening the Old Vic Theatre at the earliest opportunity and the use to which it should be put in relation to the Old Vic Theatre Company and subsequently the National Theatre Company' (29/04/1949)
- 'Memorandum from Mr Hugh Hunt No. 1. - On a future plan for the Old Vic Theatre Company in relation to a National Theatre' (17/05/1949).
- 'Memorandum from Mr Hugh Hunt No. 1. - A composite plan for the development of a National Theatre Company in all its branches', covering future arrangements for the National Theatre Company and relationship with the Old Vic Company, (21/06/1949).
- 'Draft Memorandum on the Old Vic and the National Theatre' by Barbara Ward (10/1949), and notes on such memorandum.
- 'Proposed Memorandum from the Governors of the Old Vic to the Joint Council on the Old Vic and the National Theatre (16/11/1949), with covering note 'from the Director of the Old Vic Theatre Company and the Directors of the Centre to the Governors of the Old Vic' (15/11/1949).
- 'Memorandum from the Governors of the Royal Victoria Hall to the Joint council of the Old Vic and the National Theatre' (16/11/1949).
- Memorandum entitled 'National Theatre progress report to March 1953'.
- Memorandum entitled 'A Plan for the development of a National Theatre Organisation' .
- Notes about the running of the National Theatre and the Old Vic, with recommendation that the two bodies work in collaboration, to avoid competition that may affect the Old Vic negatively, in the case the National Theatre is erected (10/12/1957).
- Untitled memorandum [by Alfred Francis]summing-up the position of the Old Vic theatre to date in relation to the National Theatre project and promoting the case for making the National Theatre project operational in conjunction with the Old Vic [06/01/1958].
- Notes on the history of the Old Vic (01/05/1959).