Meeting minutes, agenda, notes and reports documenting the work of the Shakespeare Joint Committee. The minutes include the names of Committee members.
Shakespeare Joint Committee
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 2080 SMNT/1/3/11
- Dates of Creation1918-1920
- Physical Description5 folders
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Shakespeare Joint Committee was appointed in 1918 and was initially comprised of representatives from the Shakespeare Memorial National Theatre and representives from the YMCA. In 1919 the Governors of the Shakespeare Memorial, Stratford-Upon-Avon, were also invited to nominate representatives to serve on the Joint Committee. The aim of the Joint Committee was to form an acting company for the performances of Shakespeare and other classical drama.
After the initial involvement of the YMCA such company, called the New Shakespeare Company, was managed by a Joint Committee of representatives from the Shakespeare Memorial Committee and the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
Material in this file is organised as follows:
- Folder 1 of 5: meeting minutes and agenda, 1918
- Folder 2 of 5: meeting minutes and agenda, 1919
- Folder 3 of 5: meeting minutes and agenda, 1920
- Folder 4 of 5: reports and proposals, 1918-1919
- Folder 5 of 5: reports and proposals, 1920
Conditions Governing Access