- Scripts of plays written by John Cairney c1965-1980
- Scrapbooks including newspaper cuttings, photographs and mementos relating to John Cairney's career 1946-1978
- Contracts and other material relating to John Cairney's career, c1952-1980s;
- Programmes, including many for the Royal Lyceum and Citizens' Theatre 1950s-1980s
- Photographs and other material c1958-1980s.
Collection of material relating to John Cairney (b1930), actor, director and playwright
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 247 STA 2Bd, F, 2Jg 1/5-6, Kz
- Dates of Creation1946-1989
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description1.8 linear metres
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Cairney (b. 1930) worked as an actor and director in Scottish theatre and television. He was one of the first graduates from the Royal Academy of Scottish Drama (attending from 1950 to 1953). After graduating he was awarded a contract with the Citizens' Theatre, Glasgow, and then moved to the Bristol Old Vic. He later moved on to television and films. He has had a particular interest in Robert Burns, writing and touring a one-man play, The Robert Burns Story. He has written and produced other plays including The Real McGonagal, The Ivor Novello Story, The Private Life of Robert Louis Stevenson, and A Mackintosh Experience.
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
Item level descriptions are available via the online Scottish Theatre Archive catalogue at http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/STA/search/
Description compiled by Jo Peattie, Scottish Archive Network Project
Conversion from MS Access database, formatting and controlled access terms added by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, November 2002