- Aberdeen Railway c1847
- Arbroath & Forfar Railway undated
- Border Union Railway 1860
- British & Irish Grand Junction Railway c.1839-1860
- Busby Railway c.1863-1868
- Caledonian Railway c.1858-1912
- Callander & Oban Railway 1875
- Crieff & Methven Junction Railway 1865
- Dundee & Forfar Railway undated
- Dundee & Perth Railway c.1847-1854
- Forfar, Brechin & Edzell Railway c.1875
- Glasgow & Belfast Union Railway 1845
- Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway 1875
- Glasgow & South-Western Railway c.1880-1898
- Glasgow, Barrhead & Neilston Direct Railway undated
- Glasgow, Dumfries & Carlisle Railway c.1845
- Greenock & Ayrshire Railway c.1865-1889
- Greenock & Wemyss Bay Railway c.1862-1867
- London Midland & Scottish Railway 1920
- North British Railway c.1864-1908
- Paisley & Barrhead District Railway c.1889-1903
- Prince's Dock Railway c.1900-1902
- Scottish Central Railway c.1858-1865
- Scottish North-Eastern Railway undated
- Miscellaneous documents c.1852-1884
Maps of Scottish Railways, c.1839-1924
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 605 Scottish Railway Maps
- Dates of Creationc.1839-1924
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Descriptionc.8 metres (297 maps)
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
When St Enoch's Station in Glasgow was closed in 1967 , the collection of maps of Scottish Railways was saved by a lecturer at Paisley College of Technology, who had been a British Rail employee. The maps illustrate the history of Civil Engineering in Scotland and the history of Engineering drawing. The earliest documents show the temerity of the men who planned the first railways in Scotland. The viaducts of the Aberdeen Railway were an enormous undertaking for the contractors of the day. Unfortunately, not all of them were well constructed, as is illustrated by the over-use of cast-iron in bridge engineering. A timber viaduct once existed on the Glasgow, Barrhead & Neilston Direct Railway, which has since been replaced by one of stone.
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received.
Donation : St Enoch's Station, Glasgow : 1967
Other Finding Aids
Printed calendar available for consultation in Special Collections.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
Some of the maps are in a fragile state. They come in a variety of scales and sizes. Please consult the Chief Librarian in the first instance.
Fonds level description compiled by Andrew Thomson, Hub Project Archivist, 16 September 2004.
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Chief Librarian.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 0605 procedures
Formerly in the custody of British Rail
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material