Comprises 28 autograph letters, 22 from William Torrens to Jabez Hogg dated 13 December 1864-18 October 1890, and 6 by other writers, all of them written to Jabez Hogg, 2 stamped-addressed envelopes belonging to 2 of the letters, 4 printed pamphlets, of which 2 concern an election contested by William Torrens in Finsbury in 1880, and 2 concern the Waterworks Clauses Act (1847) Amendment Bill promoted by William Torrens and others in 1884, 8 press-cuttings concerning the life, writings, and death of William Torrens, including a printed portrait of him, dated between 1868 and 1894, and a House of Commons admission ticket used by William Torrens on 13 April 1885.
Letters from William Torrens McCullagh Torrens, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 2 Torrens
- Dates of Creation1864-1894
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description28 letters (59 ff. with 56 ff. conjoined in 28 pairs), 2 envelopes, 4 pamphlets, 8 press-cuttings, and 1 admission ticket, all held in 2 envelopes, manuscript, typescript, and printed material. The material was formerly bound into a volume which is now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
William Torrens McCullagh Torrens (1813-1894), the politician and author. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#torrens