Photographs, press cuttings and other papers relating to colonial servicein Kenya, 1919-1938, 1943-1947, and as Resident Commissioner of the SolomonIslands, 1939-1943.
Papers of William Sydney Marchant
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.brit.emp.s.491
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 491
- Dates of Creation1919-1947
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description1 box
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
William Sydney Marchant (1894-1953) worked as Assistant District Commissioner,East Africa Protectorate, from 1919. In 1926 he was appointed District Officer,Kenya, in 1935 Deputy Provincial Commissioner and Assistant Secretary, Zanzibar,and in 1937 Deputy Provincial Commissioner, Tanganyika Territory. In 1939he was appointed Resident Commissioner, the British Solomon Islands Protectorate.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 597 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.