- Annual accounts, 1966-1995
- Annual General Meeting (AGM) minutes, 1966-1995
- Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) minutes, 1966-1995
- General Meeting minutes, 1975-1995
- Constitutional papers, 1965-1994
- Correspondence, 1965-1994
- Membership records, 1975-1994
- Member surveys, 1961-1986
- Membership tickets, 1977-1994
- Hetherington House records incl. lease and redecoration plans, 1975-1983
- Room hire documents, 1961-1986
- Management documents, 1969-1987
- Recruitment leaflets, 1977-1994
- Negatives, 1977-1994
- Newsletters, 1977-1994
Records of the Glasgow University Postgraduates Club, 1954-2011, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb248-accn1700
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The club was founded in November 1954 as the Hetherington House Research Club. It changed its name to Glasgow University Postgraduates Club in October 2002, its new constitution being approved both by the City Council Licensing Board and the University Court. The club occupied Hetherington House, named after the Principal Sir Hector Hetherington. It was later known as the Hetherington Research Club, and was relocated to 13 University Gardens.
It was a social club which provided sustenance, socialisation and study space for the mature and postgraduate students of the University, as well as members of the University staff. Its constitution read as follows: ‘The object of the Club shall be to foster, by the provision of catering and recreational facilities, interaction between postgraduate and other advanced students and members of staff of the University of Glasgow.’
The Club’s services, facilities and membership expanded greatly over time, until the club was closed in February 2010. An interim club committee was appointed shortly after, which tried to reopen the club during the spring and summer of 2010, however this attempt was unsuccessful. In February 2011, the building was occupied by students in an attempt to save the club, however their occupation was evicted on the 22nd of March, but there were negotiations that led to a renewed occupation of the building later that evening. The members of the interim committee are still keen to reopen the club, and maintain that the general aims and motivation of the Hetherington Research Club are as important as they were in recent years.
Listed by box. Due to lack of order of the documents when received it was decided to impose the structure that would be the best fit for the greatest number of users to avoid difficulties in using the collection.
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted: departmental access only
Transfer : Glasgow University Research Club : 26 Jun 1998 : ACCN 1700
Collection box listed by Moira Rankin, Senior Archivist, and Sarah Jones, Volunteer, May 2004. Collection level description created by Jennifer Turner, Archives Assistant, 10 Jan 2013.
Other Finding Aids
File list available by application to the Duty Archivist