Diaries, January-July 1909, March 1911, February-June 1913, February-March (n.y.),providing a detailed account of his work as Assistant Resident; transcriptof a letter to his mother on his arrival at Yola, 1906; typescript ethnologicalreport by Boyle on Lala District, Yola Province.
Papers of Captain Charles Vicars Boyle
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Afr. s. 2324
- Dates of Creation1906-1913
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description1 box The diaries are typescript in 3 folders made of tooled leather-covered card,probably Nigerian. The folios are now separated from the covers.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Captain Charles Vicars Boyle (d 1913) was Assistant Resident, Yola Province,Northern Nigeria, c1906-1913. He was the author of Noteson the Yola Fulani (Journal of the Royal African Society, vol. 10,no. 37, 1910).
See Physical characteristics.
SectionsJanuary-February and May-June 1909 are filed in folders 1 and 2, the remainderof 1909 are loose in folders 1 and 2, and the remaining diary pages loose in folder 3.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.