Comprises: (1) Drafts of many of Abercrombie's own publications held in box files individually-labelled; (2) Drafts of literary material in folders; (3) Lecture notes, including those of his own lectures and some notes taken from the lectures of others, held chiefly in small white files, some in green files, and others in notebooks; (4) A printed order of service for his Memorial Service in 1938.
Literary and other manuscripts associated with Lascelles Abercrombie
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS 20c Abercrombie (2)
- Dates of Creationca. 1896-1946
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 bound vols, 1 envelope, 16 box files containing mainly loose-leaf material, 1 pamphlet, 15 other files, 2 notebooks, and 19 folders; manuscript, typescript, press cuttings, and printed material (some photocopy). Many of the items are held in specially-made box files and some of the lecture notes are held within boards connected together by screws passing through the sheets of manuscripts between them. The latter include typed lists of their contents before the first folios.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Lascelles Abercrombie M.A. was born in 1881, and was the sixth son of William Abercrombie of Cheshire. He was educated at Malvern College, and at the Victoria University, Manchester; his education was chiefly scientific. He soon became well-known as a poet and a man of letters; from 1919-22 he was Lecturer in Poetry at the University of Liverpool, leaving there to become the Professor of English Literature at the University of Leeds, where he stayed until 1929 when he left to take up a Professorship at the University of London.
Access is unrestricted.
From the Library of Lord Brotherton, supplemented by a gift from Mr Jeffrey Cooper in 1979.
Other Finding Aids
The archive is more fully described in Handlist 144 http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/handlists/144BCAbercrombie.pdf (requires the free Acrobat reader).